We provide braille tactile signage including exit signs with braille, sanitary facility signage and more. All braille signage is designed to fully comply with the Building Code of Australia (BCA) requirements and standards for braille signs and tactile signage in section D3.6. of the code.
Braille Sign Requirements:
Where required, raised tactile and or braille signage shall be provided as follows:
- Unisex accessible sanitary facilities shall be identified with the international symbol of access with male and female symbols.
- Signage for unisex accessible facilities shall be provided with the letters LH or RH to indicate a left-hand or right-hand side transfer onto the WC pan. The minimum font size shall be 20mm san serif
Signs including symbols, numbering and lettering must be designed and installed as follows:
- Signs must be located not less than 1200mm and not higher than 1600mm above the floor or ground surface.
- Signs with single lines of characters must have the line of tactile characters not less than 1250mm and not higher than 1350mm above the floor or ground surface.
- Signs identifying rooms containing features or facilities listed in D3.6 must be located:
- on the wall on the latch side of the door with the leading edge of the sign located between 50mm and 300mm from the architrave
- in the event of insufficient latch side dimension, a sign may be placed on the non-latch side of the door
- where (i) and (ii) is not possible, the sign may be placed on the door itself.
- Signs identifying paths of travel must be placed so they are located directly ahead in the direction of travel. Where one wall continues in the direction of travel and the other forms a corner, the sign must be placed on the continuing wall.
Compliance and Specs
- All signs are manufactured from PVC to a depth of 3mm. Because of the thickness no backing panel is required
- All signs are injection moulded so that all graphics are of a continuous nature for hygiene purposes as set out in Building Code of Australia BCA section D3.6
- Moulded signs mean that adhesive failure on symbol, letters and braille dots is impossible, which in turn extends the life of each sign
- Sign sizes are 180mm x 180mm x 3mm or 180mm x 210mm x 3mm depending on content
- Silver signs are coated with a micro metallic silver acrylic lacquer to give the appearance of clear anodised aluminium
- Tactile character and symbols have a minimum 30% luminance to contrast with the background
- Complies with The Building Code of Australia (Section D3.6)
- Complies with Design for Access and Mobility (AS1428.1-2011)
- Complies with Public Information Symbol Signs (AS2899.1-1986)